Finally got NetShare to work on my iphone 3G

Posted by face on August 01, 2008

Screen shot of NetShare

I was so excited, Apple and AT&T approved tethering for my iPhone…but it was gone, no wait, gizmodo say’s it’s back! (click on picture to the left which is the “App Store” link in the gizmodo article to install NetShare right now via iTunes). Update:The link is broken now, NetShare is not available in the US app store. For us lucky few who purchased it….it still works…

However, after installing NetShare via iTunes onto my iphone I could not get it to work. I followed the instructions only to get:

Safari can’t open the page. Safari can’t open the page “http://www.apple.com/”. The error was: “unknown error” (NSURLErrorDomain:-1) Please choose Report Bugs to Apple from the Safari menu, note the error number, and describe what you did before you saw this message.

After fiddling with it for a few minutes I found a solution. The iphone appeard to be still trying to using the WiFi connection and not 3G.

So, right before the final step of launching NetShare on the iphone (i.e. after setting up the adHoc network on the iphone to your PC), launch Safari on the iPhone and surf to a page. This will cause the little WiFi icon to change to 3G at the top of your phone. Now lanuch NetShare that you have the 3G icon back and everything will work like a dream.

I can even use the ssh client on my OSX laptop to connect to remote servers using connect.c to proxy ssh through the iphone. To get this to work was something like:

wget http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.c
gcc connect.c -o connect -lresolv
sudo cp connect /usr/local/bin/.
ssh -o 'ProxyCommand /usr/local/bin/connect -5 -S 10.10.10.1:1080 %h %p' 206.71.190.75
# Of course the ProxyCommand can go in your ~/.ssh/config

Have iPhone, Have Laptop, will travel!

Digg! Delicious! Technorati Blinklist Furl Reddit
Comments

Leave a response

1. nadeemAugust 01, 2008 @ 08:48 PM

So I got it to work right off of the bat with my macbook pro. but i foolishly tried to set up different airport connections to easily switch between the two, by creating a new service. and suddenly no tethering despite using the same instructions and your trick as described above. it’s quite frustrating actually considering this is the first paid app that i ponied up for and now nothing. if you have any insight it would greatly appreciate it.

2. faceAugust 01, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

I can only guess that you have a default route. On your Macbook Pro, go to your Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> TCP/IP and ensure “Router” is empty.

Any Luck?

3. KyleAugust 02, 2008 @ 04:31 AM

Thanks for posting this! I followed the macrumors walk through to a T and couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get on 3G like the last screengrab suggests. It never occured to me to launch safari to get on it. Now I can actually use my $10 purchase! Thanks!

4. David KovacsAugust 02, 2008 @ 11:34 AM

I was able to purchase NetShare yesterday while it was still available, for my iPhone 3G. The environment in which I’m trying to make this work is with a MacBook running OSX 10.5.4

Unfortunately, despite trying for more than an hour, following all the instructions for setting NetShare up I still have not been able to get NetShare to work. I went through all the steps from scratch several times and even did the step suggested in this blog, which is to open up safari on the iphone and then open up netshare. When I open up safari, I see the 3G icon, but when I open up NetShare it indicates zero connections.

I was able to confirm that I can the ping the iPhone at 192.168.10.1 from Terminal on my mac, but that’s the best I can do.

I purchased this for $10.00 yesterday and it’s doing nothing for me right now.

Any suggestions out there?

5. faceAugust 02, 2008 @ 03:40 PM

Hi David,

What does Safari on the Mac say when you try to connect to the proxy? NetShare will say 0 connections till you actually surf somewhere from your Mac with Safari (I say Safari because the instructions provided get the proxy configured for Safari, while firefox has extra steps).

6. David KovacsAugust 03, 2008 @ 07:51 AM

Hi face,

When I try to connect with Safari on the Mac:

It says: Safari can’t open the page …. because your computer isn’t connected to the Internet.

I tried setting up Firefox and explicity set the Proxy set up with Socks as well. Firefox gives me the same error.

Any Ideas?

7. faceAugust 03, 2008 @ 08:18 PM

Hi David,

That is what happens to me with Safari if I have a router entry. Please ensure your Router entry is blank (as per my earlier comment above to nadeem).

Firefox will not work without proxying the DNS. I have had limited success using Firefox’s socks_remote_dns property. Vectro Security has a nice writeup how to configure Firefox’s DNS here There is also FoxyProxy which I have not tried.

Another way to proxy DNS is to proxy everything. I found a “shareware” version of proxifier here and of course you can get the latest 30 trial of a newer version of proxifier from the source ($39).

Hope this helps.

8. TyAugust 04, 2008 @ 07:01 PM

Thanks a million! I was having the same issue but it’s working now.

Ty

9. ericAugust 08, 2008 @ 12:57 AM

Thank you so much! I had the exact same problem and that fixed it.

Cheers, Eric

10. Brian GoosenAugust 11, 2008 @ 08:08 PM

I’m running OSX 10.4.11 on a MacBook Pro. Mine wouldn’t work until I added the iPhone’s ad-hoc IP address (192.168.10.1) to the router field in the MacBook’s Network Preferences. I’m surprised that works since it’s supposed to be left blank according to the instructions, which were a bit rough to follow since the Network Preference panel was a bit different before 10.5.x.

11. RossAugust 27, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

Thanks you… this works perfectly!

12. CypressDadNovember 15, 2008 @ 09:19 AM

I’ve heard that NetShare no longer works under iPhone 2.1 firmware. Can anyone confirm or deny? I have 2.1 on my iPhone and can’t seem to get NetShare to work, whereas when I first got the app it worked fine.

13. faceNovember 15, 2008 @ 02:36 PM

It works fine for me on 2.1 on ATT (my exact iphone version is 2.1 build 5F136). I’m on the 3g network…

14. NeilsenSeptember 14, 2009 @ 05:41 PM

Hi Face, my problem is with my 3G iPhone, it doesn’t keep the static IP Address, when i launch NetShare the IP Address that set uo before is gone, can you help me out with some tips to keep it?. Thanks a lot…

Hint: Comments now accept textile.